St Gabriel’s Nominated Safeguarding Staff are:
Designated Safeguarding Lead: Mrs L Phelps
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead: Mrs J Caley
Designated Safeguarding Governor: Mrs L Wilson
If you have any worries or concerns about any of the children connected to our school, please do not hesitate to contact one of the nominated people. More information can be found in the safeguarding flyer below.
Safeguarding Children Audit Tool for Schools and Colleges
St Gabriel’s has an audit tool in place that reflects the importance of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The audit tool has been developed in line with Section 11 of the Children Act (1989) and Sections 157 and 175 of the Education Act (2002).
St Gabriel’s are required to carry out an annual review of their safeguarding practice and to demonstrate how the duties set out in the guidance have been discharged.
The effectiveness of safeguarding arrangements in schools is inspected under the Ofsted framework judgement on behaviour and safety. Judgements are not made solely on what is seen during the inspection, inspectors must also take into account a range of evidence to judge behaviour and safety over an extended period. Safeguarding is not just about protecting children from deliberate harm.
It includes issues for schools such as:
- Pupils’ health and safety
- Bullying, including cyber-bullying (by text message, on social networking sites, and so on)
- Racist abuse
- Harassment and discrimination
- Use of physical intervention
- Meeting the needs of pupils with medical conditions
- Providing first aid
- Drug and substance misuse
- Educational visits
- Intimate care
- Internet or e-safety
- Issues which may be specific to a local area or population, for example gang activity
- Appropriate arrangements to ensure school security, taking into account the local context.